The Blount County Drug Court, located on the 3rd floor of the Justice Center, provides intensive substance abuse treatment with frequent supervisory contact from the court, treatment provider, and probation for adult non-violent offenders in an effort to break the cycle of crime and addiction.
The Drug Court Program:
- Reduces the length of time offenders spend between arrest and court ordered supervision.
- Individuals are referred by their attorney as a post plea sentencing alternative.
- Increases the frequency of court contact with offenders.
- Provides offenders with alternatives to their current lifestyles through court supervision, treatment, counseling, life skills education, and personal goal setting.
- Provides positive reinforcement from the judge and drug court team to program participants for achieving goals.
- Enforces immediate sanctions for program noncompliance.
- Reduces drug use and drug-related crimes by program participants
- Reduces extended incarcerations of program participants
The program Director oversees all the activities of the drug court and coordinates the efforts of the drug court team – Circuit Judge Tammy Harrington, District Attorney Mike Flynn, Public Defender Mack Garner, Treatment Counselors, and Probation Officers – to ensure effective communication and program consistency.
Office hours are Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.